Design Internship: Six-Month Contract
We are currently accepting portfolio submissions for a 6 month paid internship, starting in January and ending in June. In your internship, you will support the Eighty-Eight design team, taking direction from the junior and senior designers, the creative director, and other team members as needed. Tasks vary greatly depending on the client and the particular project. The job requires one to be flexible and adaptable as projects arise, but it also means you won’t get bored. Here are some things you could be working on:
- Assisting with creating design elements for client projects
- Creating Instagram grids for social media clients
- Assisting with internal branding projects as needed
- Formatting reports, proposals, and other documents
- Contributing to brainstorms and internal meetings for new clients and new business pitches
- Keeping organized files of design assets
- Helping out with administrative tasks related to the design department as needed (getting quotes for printing, doing research, collecting inspiration examples)
- Thinking strategically to solve marketing problems, and how design fits into that solution
- Doing research and contributing to brainstorms with various team members as we work to solve client marketing problems
Over time, Eighty-Eight design interns will be building up proficiency in skills that will be useful either as a full-time designer at Eighty-Eight, or in a position at another agency or in-house at a brand.
- The ability to respond to a client’s expectations
- Being able to adjust the visual tone of your design work to the client
- Taking existing assets and building on them, resulting in a stronger piece of communication
- Being able to take minimal direction from team members and fill in the gaps by suggesting creative solutions
- Interpreting client and colleague requests when they themselves are not designers
- Coming to the table with fresh ideas and approaches to design problems
- Working with all members of the team as needs arise, and flowing from project to project with ease
You’ll be introduced to our clients and processes gradually. Instead of formal training sessions, we implement project-based learning so junior employees get a sense of what the expectations are, and it allows them to build on what they learn.
You will have access to support from more senior team members as needed throughout your placement. Collaboration is central to our culture at EightyEight, which further facilities learning new skills and building on skills already acquired.
We touch base weekly as a team to catch up on what needs to be done that week, where people need help, and to share any recent learnings. Team members are encouraged to attend evening events or lunch & learns, and to seek out other opportunities for growth and networking.
You will meet with the art director monthly one-on-one to touch base on how you’re doing in your role, where you may need more help, or other ways to maximize success. This is not a test – we want to you to learn and grow, and to enjoy yourself in the process.
- Eighty-Eight is a super casual work environment. We welcome you to be yourself, dress as you usually do, and feel comfortable.
- We want to hear your ideas and encourage creativity. A great idea is a great idea – it doesn’t matter whether it comes from a senior team member or an intern.
- Represent! While you’re working with us, you represent the Eighty-Eight brand. We encourage you to share your experience on social media and promote the company and projects you’re working on to your networks. Just ask a senior person first to make sure it’s OK to share a particular project.
- Get to know your team better! Your colleagues may seem to be tuned in to their computers and work, but everyone can use a short break every once in awhile. Send your colleagues an invite to coffee, lunch, or just to chat.
PR Account Executive: One-Year Contract
At Eighty-Eight we’re known for our sense of humour (Agency or Porn), our creative ways of getting the attention of potential clients (hi Warby Parker!), and our use of new tech to solve client problems (TIFFBOT version two coming soon). We work with forward-thinking, creative clients like foodora, Sony Pictures Television, and PayPal, and we do pro bono work for non-profit clients like The Upside Foundation of Canada. Now we’re looking for a PR Account Executive to help with our consumer and lifestyle PR clients.
As PR Account Executive you’ll work directly with our Account Manager & Senior PR Manager, helping to plan and execute events, announcements, and PR campaigns for clients. You’ll also manage an Account Coordinator on your team. As AE, you’ll be responsible for drafting media materials, handling media relations, and coordinating PR campaigns.
This is a one-year maternity leave contract with benefits in our Toronto office.
- Lead the bulk of ongoing media relations for our lifestyle and consumer clients, including coordinating interview logistics, drafting media briefs, and handling client communications
- Build and maintain relationships with consumer and lifestyle journalists across Canada
- Draft and edit media materials – pitches, backgrounders/fact sheets, and press releases/announcements
- Work with our coordinators to build and review strategic media lists, monitor daily for client coverage/competitive coverage/trends/opportunities, and compile coverage reports
- Assist with planning launch parties, media previews, and other events – sourcing vendors, handling media invites and RSVP lists, and being on-site during events
- Plan pitch calendars and develop campaign ideas
- Draft or edit submitted/bylined articles and secure placement in industry publications
- Use our suite of software tools, including Cision, Meltwater, and CoverageBook
- Plan influencer campaigns – researching influencers, handling outreach, coordinating influencer drops, and handling follow-ups
- Experience in PR: You have 2+ years experience working in PR either at an agency or a company. You’ve done lots of media relations and writing, and have experience working and communicating directly with clients in the past
- Degree/diploma in communications or public relations or equivalent experience
- Existing relationships: you have established relationships with influencers and media, locally and nationally
- Social media literacy: you not only use social media in your personal life, but have incorporated social media into your PR campaigns in the past
- Understanding of the changing media landscape in Canada (earned, paid, owned)
- Experience with integrated campaigns that include media relations, influencer outreach, and other executions
- Resourcefulness: You won’t always know the answer to a question, but you can source it on your own
- Love for words: you love writing, whether it’s a press release or writing your own personal blog posts or stories. You have a passion for nerdy things like spelling and grammar, and would never be caught dead using the wrong your/you’re or its/it’s
- Personality, both online and off: We’re a small team and we like to have fun, so we want someone who fits the Eighty-Eight culture. We also need you to have a personality that shines through for each client, while still staying true to that client’s goals and voice
- Creativity: We’re constantly cooking up creative ideas for our clients, and we need someone who’s not afraid to throw out 15 crazy ideas to find the one idea that works
- Great time management/attention to detail: You’ll be working on several client accounts every day, and juggling multiple responsibilities and various platforms
- Bonus if you’re bilingual in French/English
You’ll be working at our office at Queen & Spadina in the heart of downtown Toronto, which means you can get your errands done on your lunch (and there’s an LCBO two blocks away).
- Full benefits program
- Wear what you want except flip flops, we’re not animals
- We do fun events on Fridays which yes, we know every agency says, but ours are actually fun
- Snacks (not always healthy)
- Monthly fun events – we’ve been to Skyzone, have you?
- Annual retreat – this year’s is in Prince Edward County
- Option to turn contract into a full-time role