At Eighty-Eight we’re known for our sense of humour (Agency or Porn), our creative ways of getting the attention of potential clients (hi Warby Parker!), and our use of new tech to solve client problems (TIFFBOT version two coming soon). We work with forward-thinking, creative clients like foodora, Sony Pictures Television, and PayPal, and we do pro bono work for non-profit clients like The Upside Foundation of Canada. Now we’re looking for a PR Intern to help support our consumer and technology PR clients.
What does it mean to be a Public Relations Intern at Eighty-Eight?
As an intern, you’ll work closely with our PR Account Managers and alongside our Account Coordinators. You’ll be assigned to three or more accounts where you’ll develop skills to help support your team in a number of communications tasks for clients including:
- Daily media monitoring, coverage scans
- Researching industry coverage, competitive news, and upcoming trends/opportunities for current clients and new business
- Researching and developing media/influencer lists
- Maintaining the master media lists
- Researching potential journalists to pitch
- Writing compelling pitches; drafting the first copy of media materials including pitches, media advisories, backgrounders, and more.
- Coordinating logistics for client events/activations and offering on-site support
- Attending team brainstorms and internal meetings
- Research and sourcing data/insights for new client projects and new business pitches
- Admin tasks as necessary such as compiling media mailers, shipping and deliveries, etc.
- Current student or recent graduate who is eager to develop their skill set by getting their foot in the door at a fast-paced creative agency
- Degree/diploma in communications or public relations or equivalent experience
- Social media literacy: you not only use social media in your personal life, but you stay up to date on the latest trends, and you know what’s new and what’s next
- Resourcefulness: You won’t always know the answer to a question, but you can source it on your own
- Love for words: you love writing, whether it’s a press release or writing your own personal blog posts or stories. You have a passion for nerdy things like spelling and grammar, and would never be caught dead using the wrong your/you’re or its/it’s
- Personality, both online and off: We’re a small team and we like to have fun, so we want someone who fits the Eighty-Eight culture. We also need you to have a personality that shines through for each client, while still staying true to that client’s goals and voice
- Creativity: We’re constantly cooking up creative ideas for our clients, and we need someone who’s not afraid to throw out 15 crazy ideas to find the one idea that works
- Great time management/attention to detail: You’ll be working on several client accounts every day, and juggling multiple responsibilities and various platforms
- Comfortable working with G Suite
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada
You’ll be working at our office at Queen & Spadina in the heart of downtown Toronto, which means you can get your errands done on your lunch (and there’s an LCBO two blocks away).
- Wear what you want except flip flops, we’re not animals
- We do fun events on Fridays which yes, we know every agency says, but ours are actually fun
- Snacks (not always healthy)
- Monthly fun events – we’ve been to Skyzone, have you?
Think the position is a great fit for you? Email your resume and/or LinkedIn profile, and Instagram (or whatever you think best demonstrates your personality) to firstname.lastname@example.org.